Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Good work!

Way to go BT - enjoyed the pictures, even though I confess to having seen them before.

I see one way of enjoying the "bloggosphere" is to share some classmate reminiscences - both within the company and the class in general.

In that spirit - toward the end of our graduation leave back in late July of 1958, Burt Miller, Don Welch and I met in the Washington DC area with the plan of driving as a convoy toward Georgia and our first assignments. We were heading for primary flight training - Don to Bainbridge and BT and I to Spence. I remember that we stopped for the night in Columbia, South Carolina. The next day we continued our drive together until the roads parted and Don went one direction and BT and I the other. Spence AB was in Moultrie, Georgia - the SW corner of the state where the southern belles were as beautiful as the gnats were bad. We worked our way through the T-34 and then the T-28 as one of the last classes to fly these reliable prop training aircraft. My memory tells me that Don flew the T-37 jet trainer at Bainbridge.

These six months at Moultrie surely built upon the D-2 bonds that Burt and I already enjoyed and contributed to the closeness we have enjoyed for the past 48 years! The only other 58 grad at Spence was Bill Kelley who we enjoyed seeing recently at the San Francisco mini.

I know that we drove up to the Army-Navy game that fall - taking along some of our flight school friends. I don't remember who won the game although I fear that Navy may have stolen one that year! I do remember that the weather was terrible!

More stories to follow - please join me in the fun!

Paul